Friday, June 6, 2008

Hungry for More Than a Hole.

June 6, 2008 - If you can't perceive something is it there? Philosopher George Berkeley was an Idealist (and Kantian) who believed that objects only exist if they are perceived. And even then, they only exist as perceptions.1. That is a pretty powerful philosophy to live by. Of course the challenge there is that you can't control the perceptions of others, but only your own. So does this mean life really is what you make it? Things are as you see them?

Since perception is the real world, and the real world is merely your perceptions, how did Tim Horton's manage to convince an entire country to buy donut holes? If it is a hole, is it really there? It's like one mass idealism campaign. Only in North America would we market holes and sell them by the buckets. Timbits, Munchkins, Dew Drops, Robin's Eggs, D-Pops, Doughnut Holes... Call them what you want, we buy them. And today, I think you should eat your fill of holes. It is Doughnut Day. So hit your Tim Hortons, Dunkin' Donuts, Krispy Creme or Robin's.

While you are munching on your doughnuts, think about those who don't have enough to eat, never mind deep fried doughy treats. June 6 has been National Hunger Awareness Day. 2. The problem of hunger in North America and beyond is much bigger than just one day. In 2008, the entire month of September will be declared National Hunger Awareness Month. I can't imagine what it would have been like to go to school hungry. Though we didn't always have lots, I always had breakfast. There was always lunch and supper, and late night snacks.

I think I took my childhood for granted, and often worked guilt in to my daily M.O. when I wanted something extra. There was always extras. I was indeed fortunate. There were two sisters that lived across the street from us when I was very young. They would come to school with lard sandwiches for lunch. I'm not sure what it was, the reason or the sandwich itself (I'm pretty sure even Subway couldn't market that one), but for weeks I used to tell my family how hungry I was at lunch so I could get a bigger lunch to share. There are thousands of Trish's and Cheyanne's in every town and city, for whom hunger is a daily event. It takes more than perception to alleviate hunger. Can you fill up eating holes? No you Kant.

1. George Berkeley, idealist philosopher
2. National Hunger Awareness Day - America's Second Harvest Food Bank Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Add to Technorati Favorites