Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Concrete Jungle is a Forest Too.

June 5, 2008 - Log it. Burn it. Pave it. Put up a Starbucks. Make sure there is loads of parking. In fact, while you're at it, add a shoe store and a spa, and you just described my idea of utopia. Don't get me wrong, I love to see trees - on the mountains, in the distance, or on a canvas. But deep down inside, I am a city girl. I love concrete and glass, cafes, wine bars, movie theaters and the constant noise of traffic. I feel at home surrounded by the sights and sounds of urban life.

I went camping once. Well, twice actually. The first round - we stayed within cell range, and could order pizza if we wanted. We didn't, but I was less uncomfortable knowing it could be ordered and delivered. Smog is like a security blanket. I survived one night. The second attempt took me farther out of the city. It meant packing the things we would use (no stores in sight), sleeping amongst the trees, and crickets, and silence. It is so very silent.

Though for me the forest would probably make a great location for a mall, we are so very fortunate to have this diverse planet. In 1972, the United Nations declared June 5th would be World Environment Day. The purpose was to "stimulate awareness of the environment and enhance political attention and public action." 1. The host for World Environment Day in 2008 is New Zealand with the slogan "CO2, Kick the Habit!". In attempting to achieve carbon neutrality, we are being asked to make a pledge to do our part.

It's a grand idea. And I sure hope everyone does their part. Plant more trees, ride your bike, buy local, buy green, reduce, reuse, recycle... If you do your part, I can continue to live in my Utopia. I drive, I inhale fumes and caffeine, my favourite colour is Starbucks green, and a grande dark roast in a venti cup, topped with steamed non-fat just tastes better in a paper cup. Urban is an environment, and the concrete jungle is my forest. I'll go camping here anytime. Hilton anyone?

1. World Environment Day - quote from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment


Add to Technorati Favorites