Saturday, June 7, 2008

Big Brown... Big Banana.

June 7, 2008 - There is a long time between the rainy season and summer heat. In the rains, we can't wait for the sun. There are many who, in the heat of summer, yearn for rain (and I'm not talking ducks). Summer rains, when it's hot, and the air is steamy are perfect for late night walks and jazz. But the rain lifts, and the ground water evaporates, and the air smells fresh - flowery - alluring.

Those are the days where I get to the evening craving - no, jones'ing - for an ice cream cone. Not any cone, a Dairy Queen cone - dipped in chocolate. I hope that I will finish it before it completely melts. I never do. There used to be these ice cream bars we would get at the store that were white ice cream, on a stick that had a distinct flavour. I can't remember what they were called, but that was what summer tasted like as a kid.

I always wanted to order a banana split. Every time I was told I would never finish it. I think I ordered a split four times in my life, and mom was right. I never finished one. It is Banana Split Day today, and though I'm sure I won't be able to finish it, I'm going to order one and try again today after 15 years. Maybe this is my year. Maybe I'll recruit help. Today is also National Chocolate Ice Cream Day. Now I'm confused. I've never seen a split made with anything else but vanilla ice cream and three toppings (strawberry, chocolate, and pineapple). I'm willing to live on the wild side, but I don't know if I can handle chocolate ice cream with my banana. How do you make a banana split? Scare it away with chocolate ice-cream? Why did the young banana get teased? He pee-led his pants. Why are bananas so popular? They have a lot of appeal.

Look, I'll never win a joke writing contest. Fortunate for you, I won't try. But Big Brown - now he should be trying. Today is the running of the Belmont Stakes - the third race of the triple crown. Big Brown has already won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes and is the 2-5 favourite to win Belmont and take the Triple Crown. If he wins, I recommend the hay and carrot sauce banana split.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Add to Technorati Favorites