Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I did it just because...

August 27, 2008 - People do strange things... but then again the things we do only qualify as strange because of someone else's reference points. My reference points reach a long way in each direction. I'm sure there are odd things I do on a regular basis that would have others claim they are strange. And maybe they are, but I do them because they entertain me, make me laugh, or get me through an otherwise long day.

It poured rain in Vancouver yesterday. Problem is... we had a tee time. Not one to miss an opportunity to get in a round of golf... we strapped our clubs to a power cart, changed golf gloves, and hit the course. Can't say I played well, but I can say we played. We were soaked to the skin, and the score card was a bit soggy, but... it was a pretty good night all around. Was that a strange thing to do? Why on earth would we want to get out there in the pouring rain? Just because.

In June myself, and two friends jumped out of a plane at 12,500 feet. One friend is in her 60's, the other was almost 85. Why did we jump? Just because. When I pass a decent sized puddle and the sun is shining, I can't jump in to the middle of it fast enough. Why? Just because. I can't say what I'll get in to today, but I do know that whatever it is, I will do it just because. Today, afterall, is Just Because Day. A day to do something because. Not because it is a great idea, or the right thing. Do something because it is something to do. Just be safe in doing it. I don't think if you put yourself or someone else in danger it would be much of an out. But hey... you want to sprinkle potpourri on the front lawn - go for it. Want to change the tires on your scooter to pink wall tires... just go ahead.

You may also want to consider being kind and compassionate to someone in need today. In celebration of the anniversary of Mother Teresa on August 27, 1910, today is Compassion Day. Take an extra sandwich to work and share it with someone in need. If anyone asks you why you did it, tell them you did it just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Add to Technorati Favorites