Saturday, August 9, 2008

12 Step Programs for email?

August 9, 2008 - Email. Could you live without it? Would you even remember how to put a document in an envelope, find a stamp, lick a stamp, find an address, write the address, and then wander the streets aimlessly looking for a big red or blue box that will receive your envelope and hope it got there in time? Heck, I don't remember the last time I had to print a piece of paper and personally hand it over. Email rules my world. I rely on Email to send info, receive info, touch base, entertain, plan, and organize my life. Even before the Blackberry, I was addicted to email.

Today is Send an Email Day. So in honour of send an email, an iPhone was born into my life at 0545 hrs. It is a beautiful bouncing baby boy, weighing approximately 4.7 ounces. I'm sure this is the beginning of an even bigger email addiction. A relationship with 0's and 1's that even the most self controlled can't fully control. For people like me... addicts... we are probably exactly who the carriers want as iPhone customers. So today, I will send an email. I will likely send more emails than I needed to send just because I can. Worse, I may send text messages like a fiend, and play online, and update facebook from the car because I can. When all is said and done, it is a phone, and I don't pay for calls on the weekend. Today, I will also count the calls I place from the phone capable of having sending an email. I got today covered.

Today is also a great day to go yard sale'ing. Why else do people sell their yards on a Summer weekend? Some people are even selling their garages, junk, furniture, and junk. If you are in the market for a new garage, a lawn or someone else's junk... National Garage Sale Day is definitely the day to do it. I often drive by these Summer events and there is indeed a part of me that wants to stop and take a look. A part of me wants to join in on the festivities and offer up my junk. Another part of me wants to have a by-law written to limit the days in which one can hawk their junk out on the sidewalk. Environmentally, they may have some benefit... recycle, reduce, reuse. I just don't think it meant reduce your crap by putting it out on the front lawn, reduce the crap in your house by re-locating it to someone else's house, and make sure it gets a second use. What isn't new to you is new to someone else? Maybe this is the weekend for the by-law. I'll go write that email - on my new to me iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Add to Technorati Favorites