Sunday, August 10, 2008

First born, second born, only born HEY!

August 10, 2008 - Can an only child ever really appreciate the dynamics of brothers and sisters? Probably not. Infact, I doubt the average only child could know what it is like to have siblings. Some of us are lucky enough to have cousins. Some have friends that are so much more than friends, they are family. On the other hand, only children didn't get labeled the 'oldest', 'youngest', the dreaded 'middle child', or worse... 'the baby of the family'. Nope, we only children were merely princes and princesses.

But what about the middle child? According to psychologists, the middle child has a sense of not belonging. The fight for attention, and often try harder to be different. On the flip side, the middle child will often be middle achievers - working only hard enough to get through. Psychology says that middle children are also more likely to be creative and artistic, but have a hard time staying focused on one thing. This spills over to their personal relationships. It is insecurity? Are middle children loners or are they just trying to find their place in the world?

I was an only child, but by reading this I want to know where my brother and sister are? Sounds like I was a middle child. Of course, I was also the oldest and the youngest too. So are single children messed up because they don't know if they should be over achievers, under achievers, or coddled? Does this describe any middle children you know? Today is their day - Middle Child Day - so celebrate. Spend the day on the patio, under-achieving. Let that project sit unfinished. Don't look to the first born for direction, just hang out coddling your lack of interest - no pressure. Oh hell, just be down right lazy.

Today is also Lazy Day. Even if the middle children you know don't fit the so called "Middle Child Syndrome" mold - encourage it for just the day. Hey, it's Sunday, it's August, and that seems like a perfect day to do nothing. As an only child, I will first get up, wonder what's in the day for me, get around to it when I get around to it, golf, brunch, and then be deadly lazy. See, as an only child, I get to do it all. Wonder when Only Child Day is - or rather, which day this year ISN'T Only Child Day?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alli, makes me wish I was an only child--then maybe it could be "all about me!"

    Oh well, being the youngest for ten years, and then having to give it all up, wasn't so bad--my sister was worth it!!

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete


Add to Technorati Favorites