/bɔs, bɒs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[baws, bos] Pronunciation Key - –noun
1. a person who employs or superintends workers; manager.
2. a politician who controls the party organization, as in a particular district.
–verb (used with object)
3. a person who makes decisions, exercises authority, dominates, etc.: My grandfather was the boss in his family.
4. to be master of or over; manage; direct; control.
–verb (used without object)
5. to order about, esp. in an arrogant manner.
6. to be boss.
7. to be too domineering and authoritative.
8. chief; master.
Ah, the boss - the director, foreman, head, manager, overseer, superintendent, supervisor, taskmaster, chieftain, slave driver... Whatever you call yours, today is National Boss Day. Check in your thesaurus for other words, but don't linger too long. Today is Dictionary Day. The thesaurus will just have to wait.
Today is also World Food Day. Millions of children, men and women are starving throughout the world.
Televisions broadcast hours and hours of images of starving children on other continents. It is an epidemic that ultimately affects all of us. Take a good look around that corner you invariably look away from. There is poverty and hunger right out our back doors. Given the recent economic downturn, it will be out your front door as well. If there was ever a time the food banks needed more help, it is indeed now. When you stop in at the grocer, stop by the food bank bins and donate.
It is also National Feral Cat Day. I'm not sure what the feral cat did to get an entire day. Is it a coincidence that it's today? Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls anyone?