Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I have a snaking suspicion

July 16, 2008 - Snakes. They come in all shapes and sizes. All colours. All races. They come long. They come short. They slither and hiss. They boast and brag. There are snakes that eat rats. There are snakes that are rats. So when I noticed it was World Snake Day, I couldn't decide if this was to be celebrated or berated.

In the lizard kingdom, snakes have a real purpose. They help to manage the rodent populations. They have a role to play in the food chain, and they make for great boots. In the human kingdom, their purpose is a little less clear. Are they there to teach us something? Or is the role of the human snake to make those who are not snakes stand out? When you are in the Okanagan, you pass road signs that say "Rattle Snake Crossing". I only needed to see that sign once to know I had no interest in EVER playing golf in the area. Snakes freak me out. I have been told that they are "more scared of me than I am of them". I somehow doubt that. You don't see the snake jump 5 feet in the air screaming in sheer panic. In fact, the snake doesn't move at all. Now this is not the same for the human snake.

The human snake could very well be more afraid of me than I am of him. I still might jump 5 feet in the air screaming, but I bet the human snake would at the very least flinch, and go away. The animal snake just continues to sit there, staring at you like you are lunch, carefully planned and prepared. I wonder if that snake would stay so still if he was face to face with a chef, ready to prepare it?

Today is also Personal Chef Day. I somehow doubt there are many of us who have personal chefs (unless we have wives and husbands who cook). I know that in my house, the personal chef is the restaurant down the way and he's cooking whatever is on the menu du jour. Last night, my personal chef was the cook at the golf club. Tonight, it will be the guy from Japan at the sushi bar. But... if you are fortunate enough to have a personal chef, today is their day. Tell them how much you appreciate them by giving them the night off. Maybe make your own dinner. When I am faced with that torturous option, I do a fabulous microwave popcorn, or an alright bowl of cereal. If eating out is more your style, I hear they make a mean snake roll at the sushi bar if you care to join me.


No comments:

Post a Comment


Add to Technorati Favorites