Monday, April 28, 2008

Bulldogs are something....

It's a day like "Bulldogs are Beautiful Day" that makes me wonder how little else we have to celebrate in our lives that the bulldogs get a day. What about Brindled Chesapeake's are Special Day? (Of course in my house, Brindled Chesapeakes are special every day.)

So April 28th brought to Vancouver hail, monsoon rains, sun, more heavy rains, and finally a clear night in which to view the moon. And for a day that cycled the four season's more than once, it went by pretty quick. I didn't get around to celebrating "Cubicle Day". Of course I've never worked in a cubicle, so other than my love of Dilbert, I don't know what I would celebrate about life in a cubicle.

On the news tonight they talked about "Workers Memorial Day". This is a day to focus on safety in the work place and to remember those who lost their lives in the line of duty. The day however, does not focus only on police or fire services, but rather those that maybe lost their lives on a construction site, or working in an all-night gas station. A young man in Vancouver named Grant De Patie was working at a gas station, and in an attempt to stop a motorist from fleeing after stealing $12 worth of gas, Grant was hit and then dragged to his death. Grant's Law is a result of that incident, and requires all gas station patrons to pre-pay for any gas at any time of day.

For those who have lost their lives because of shoddy equipment, poor maintenance, pressure to complete projects quickly and cheaply... where are the laws to ensure their lives were not lost in vain. Don't get me wrong, I am not in any way minimizing the importance of Grant's Law. I'm applauding it. I hope that it is an example to others to be sure that the memories of workers are also able to make a difference.

A couple of months ago, a young man was killed on the job building the new skytrain line in Vancouver. The crane he was operating tipped while working over the Fraser River and he was killed. Then I hear that other than Ontario, there are no trade tickets for crane operators in BC. It's taken at a workers word they have the training, and up to the employers to be sure the crane operators have the skills and safety training for the job. I have since then been very nervous whenever I'm near or under a crane (and in Vancouver there are LOTS of cranes). Maybe there can be a law passed for crane operators to ensure that they have what they need to be safe and get home to their families at the end of the day.

But I digress.

Though Cubicle Day might not seem all that important, and I'm sure Bulldogs are beautiful to their owners... remember that all your actions could affect the safety of yourself and others. Let's remember all those that have been hurt or killed on the job, and hope that they have not done so in vain.



No comments:

Post a Comment


Add to Technorati Favorites