Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Id, The Ego, and the Appetite

May 6, 2008 - In school there was homework. There was mounds and mounds of homework. But from what I can estimate, it was next to nothing compared to the amount of homework kids bring home now. So when I saw that it was Childhood Depression Awareness Day it made excellent sense to me. Now that the weather is getting good, it's still daylight at 8 o'clock in the evening, and there are a million other things we'd rather be doing, all that homework could become very depressing. And yet... it's National Teacher Day - a day to tell your teachers how much you appreciate them. Just scribble a quick thank you note on the back of your Prozac prescription.

In 1856, Mr and Mrs Freud welcomed a bouncing baby named Sigismund Schlomo Freud (Sigmund to the rest of us), and such, today is Freud Day. Freud changed the landscape of the mind, and broke down universal developmental stages into bite sized chunks. He developed psychoanalytic techniques still used in therapy sessions happening on a couch near you. He studied dream symbolism, developed theories on sexual development, repressed feelings, and the therapeutic nature of cocaine. Was this the first anti-depressant? Prozac of the early 1900's?

On the up side, it's Crepe Suzette Day. Mmmm, pancakes drenched in Grand Marnier and set ablaze. It's dessert and a show. If I get lucky, it will be dessert, set ablaze, setting off the fire alarm, rescued by the entertainment. Mmmm, firemen. Remember Pinky and the Brain? They had a plan to take over the world a la Crepe Suzette. It involved altering the recipe so that when lit, the crepes would explode. I'm guessing that it was a plan meant to hatch today.

Speaking of desserts - it's No Diet Day. Phew. I've been waiting for this since I started my diet. I've been watching what I eat for at least two days now. For a good friend who just so happens to be a great cook, it is also her birthday. Seems like the perfect excuse to eat cake. And cookies. And cream sauce. I'm in... and today, id's ok. Oops. Freudian slip. Happy Birthday Sigmund.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Add to Technorati Favorites