Sunday, May 11, 2008

Hey Mom, the Chair is in the Mail.

May 11, 2008 - Dear Mom, I am a terrible daughter. I don't call, I don't write (well not letters), and I don't send cards. But on this one day of the year, Mother's Day, I will tell you how much I love you. Sound familiar? Yup, we just don't tell our mothers what they mean to us often enough. If you are me, you just miss the window for the mail to make it in time. Now your card won't get there in time anyway, so might as well not bother. I'll call instead. Now where did I put that phone number....

OK, so I do call my mom fairly often, but probably not often enough. Leading up to the Mother's Day call, I find myself thinking back on what a challenge I must have been for my mom. Like many only-child daughters and mothers... we fought. We fought over what I was wearing, we fought over what she was wearing. We fought about fighting, and even fought over who started the fight. We don't fight much anymore. Now that I am an adult, I can appreciate everything she did for me, and continues to do. I am very fortunate to have my mother. We are good friends today, and I'm impressed with her strength. She is a woman of intelligence and depth. She is so very important to me. So mom, today is your day. You should sit back and relax (It's Chair Day), put on a bit of music (It's Bob Marley Day), and eat brownies (It's Eat What You Want Day). Happy Mother's Day Mom. And to my amazing collection of other mothers Happy Mother's Day too. You make me feel like I'm part of a family here in Vancouver, and I am grateful to have you in my life. Can I change the day to Mothers' Day?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much dear. I couldn't have asked for a better daughter, you make me so proud.
    Love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete


Add to Technorati Favorites