Saturday, June 19, 2010

Lazy hazy days of summer

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - There are few things as pleasant and self indulgent as sitting in the warm summer sun, reading a book and warming the skeletal frame that takes a beating the rest of the time.  It is a moment that will happen twice a year if I'm lucky, and it will be one of the few times where I will feel that warmth given I live north of the 49th parallel. But it happens so rarely not only because of the northern location my patio is geographically located. It is also due to a complete inability to find enough time to laze.  Instead, I have come up with a new motto in life...  take everything you do, and slow it down just enough so that the feeling of rush leaves you.  Saunter. Take more time to get there.  Late?  Who cares. You got there didn't you?

Today is Sauntering Day.  Seems fitting for a Saturday, but how many of us actually use the weekends to decompress anymore?  Between shopping, sports, family gatherings (now that's relaxing), weddings, parties, bbqs, left over work, dog parks, kids...  what can be more compressed than trying to get an entire weeks worth of life in to two days?  I think to my family to the south.  The weekends are when there is less help to assist with two beautiful but oh so young babies that require much help. On top of which are the social engagements and other family needs.  Weekends in that home are busier than the week days. Sauntering is so very out of the question on most Saturdays, and I'm certain that today will be no different than the other 51.

For me, I work every second Saturday. There are only 26 weekends for me to utilize so I have to fit in two weeks worth of life outside of work in to a single weekend.  Thankfully, I have a 3-day weekend to make up for it, but seriously?  This makes for a busy weekend.  Good thing I stopped worrying about the clock. I'll get there.  I'm sure of that much, I just won't be able to tell you when.

There was a king of laze... Mr. Garfield (the cat).  Seemed this was a feline that had the whole sauntering thing figured out.  A good scratching post is only made better by having it brought to your claws. And if you need to get somewhere... relax.  Take your time.  Either you will get there, or there will be brought nearer to you. Suppose there is a good reason today is also Garfield the Cat Day.  Celebrate your inner Garfield.  Wait for the scratching post to come to you. As the saying goes... Good things come to those who wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment


Add to Technorati Favorites