Monday, August 4, 2008

Sisters, Brothers, Friends

August 3, 2008 - Friendship is the one thing that holds us all together. Whether you have family or not, hundreds of friends or just one, friendship keeps us grounded. I live thousands of miles away from my family. Though I have great friendships with my mom, my aunts, my uncle, my cousins, I have been fortunate to also have amazing friendships with the family I wasn't born into but rather the family members I got to choose. It's probably a good thing my friends aren't the family I was born into. We are a rag tag bunch of people, each with their own idiosyncrasies and craziness.

There are my opinionated friends who are never short on words or shy to tell me what I think on any subject. It's a family trait... I too am a tad opinionated. There are friends who get a bug about something and go at it with both barrels, or are a tad obsessive compulsive. Family trait? I might have a bit of an addictive personality. There are friends who have been part of my life for what feels like centuries. Loyalty must run in this family. There are friends you travel with, friends you party with, friends you can stay at home and watch TV with. There are friends who share your taste in movies, friends that get your sense of humour, friends who don't 'get' Monty Python, friends who do, and friends who tolerate Flying Circus. The one thing that seems to be true of all the friends that I hold near and dear... is that they are all a little bit crazy. Alas, I am the one thing they all have in common. Does that say something about me?

Regardless, I will celebrate all my friends - those related and those that are not. Today is Friendship Day, and it is Sisters' Day. Seems to me they are interchangeable. So, to all my friends and my sisters, have a watermelon. Oh yeah - its also National Watermelon Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Add to Technorati Favorites