Friday, April 25, 2008

Silent Hats


April 25th is the 12th annual "Day of Silence" - a day devoted to bringing attention to anti-LGBT bullying in schools. This year's day of silence is dedicated to a young 8th grader from California who was shot and killed for being gay. Students across the US are being asked to do so for the day or a part of the day.

A 'group' that is rarely silent, and certainly not easy to lose in a crowd are the ladies of the Red Hat Society. April 25th is "National Red Hat Day". In honour of Red Hat Day, I did some research. There are nearly 2000 chapters of the Red Hat Society in Canada. The Society exists in over 30 countries, and have over a million members. The only time it might be hard to lose a Red Hat Ladie in a crowd... the conferences!

"How will I find you?"
"I'll be the one in the purple dress and the red hat".

So sure enough, I thought being around town today from Richmond to Kits, I would see more women out with their red hats. I only saw one Red Hat member, in Kerrisdale of all places - and though she was decked out in the purple outfit (and shoes), and a red blazer. I didn't see a hat. But out in the neighbourhood, she certainly was easy to spot.

I'm sorry I missed chocolate covered almonds day - I would have participated in that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Add to Technorati Favorites